In the first half of 2009 Yellow® had a serious issue. The customer experience was appalling and it was having a severe impact on the business so an initiative was launched to address the underlying issues. Direct and engaging internal communications were used from day one – from the time they communicated the issues, through to ongoing measurement and celebration of success.
The programme had four core elements:
1. Unite staff around customer needs simply expressed in ways everyone could understand
2. Identify and address the issue through significant behaviour and process change
3. Leadership from HR in partnership with marketing, and visible sponsorship from CEO
4. Continuous assessment and transparent reporting
The intent was always to support face to face contact rather than replace it.
Within just one year of launching the initiative Yellow has experienced an extraordinary turnaround during what staff now call “The year of the customer”.
- Customer Experience monitor scores shifted from 6.6 to 7.0
- Call abandonment rates fells from 15.5% to 0.5%
- First call resolution climbed from 8% to 96%
- Disputes were reduced by 52%
- Credits have been reduced from $750,000 per month to $300,000 per month (40%)